Thursday, October 2, 2014

Roadrunner, snakes and art - a desert mix

Ahhhh...fall. This is a wonderful time of year to be in the desert. It's really a wonderful time of year to be just about anywhere, really, but since I am in the desert, I am saying "the desert." Cool nights, warm, sunny days. Can't beat it!!!

I have some exciting news!!! I just found out yesterday that one of my paintings was accepted into the Joshua Tree National Park Art Exposition!!! The opening reception is December 5th at the 29 Palms Art Gallery. The show runs until December 28th. I am joined by 53 other talented artists. You can read more about the show here: jtnparts.org. Below is the painting that was chosen:

"Predator." Oil on canvas, 30 x 40 inches
I am also part of a group show at the 29 Palms Gallery that opens this Sunday from noon to 3. The show was curated by Rhonda Coleman. This show will stay up during the Hwy. 62 Art Tours, if you can't make the opening this Sunday. Here is the poster for the show:


I have been seeing more snakes and evidence of snakes since the rainstorm. Yesterday, I saw a small snake, possibly a rosy boa, that had just caught a lizard. It was underneath a shrub, so I was unable to get a good photo. The lizard was still thrashing around in the snake's mouth! I wish I could have captured that moment, but I really didn't have a clear shot. (plus, there was a lot of quick movement by both snake and prey.) I do have these photos to share with you:

King Snake - maybe if I were a parselmouth, I could have convinced it to come out of the hole.

We spent the rest of the hike thinking "somewhere nearby is a very shiny snake!"
The Hwy. 62 Art Tours catalogs are back from the printers and many have been delivered to information centers in the high desert. You can also see the online version or order one online from the website. http://www.hwy62arttours.org/hwy62arttours.html

How is your fall season so far? Leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!

5 comments:

Roberta Warshaw said...

I am loving the background on this one Karine. Is it a stencil? Digital? Inquiring minds NEED to know. LOL

Roberta

Unknown said...

Hi Roberta, Yes, I drew a lizard on a piece of cardboard and cut it out to make the stencil. It took FOREVER to draw and paint all of those little lizards. But I was happy with the final result. :) Thanks for asking

Roberta Warshaw said...

I thought it might be that. It works really well. Thanks for letting me know!

Annie said...

Karine, I can see why you got in the show, it is a wonderful painting! May you sale many paintings.
Fall is my favorite season, loving it so much.
xoxo

Unknown said...

Hi Annie,
You are very kind. Thank you for your comments. I love fall too!